- To educate your users about your businesses, services or products.
- To earn backlinks (which help with telling search engines that your page is trustworthy).
- To go 'viral' on social media and gain exposure to your business, service etc.
Content is king
- Try to make sure your page has a title (using the
- Try to use the correct HTML headings to structure your page (h1, h2, h3 etc).
- Try to use at least one image (with a descriptive file name and title tag).
- Aim for at least 500 words. More is certainly better but not always possible.
- Aim to include a link or two that points to another page on your website. Keep the link relevant e.g. if you are a plumber and blog about pluming then link to one of your services page such as 'boiler repair'.
- Aim to include a link that points to another website (not yours). It has been recommended that this link is relevant to your page. It helps establish trust.
- Try to use the right tool for the job. For example, if you are writing out a top 5 list dont type 1, 2,3 etc - use the 'number' list.
- Bonus: you can bold or italicise important words or keywords to help users.
- h1 tag - This is your main 'title' of the document.
- p tag - This is a paragraph with some introductory text.
- bullet list - This is a bullet point list that acts as a 'table of contents'.
- h2 tag - This is the 'sub title' of the document and helps break the content down into sections.
- p tag - This is a main part of the content and will make up a good percentage of your word count.
- image - This is an image that should be relevant to the page using a good file name and alt tag.
- h3 tag - This is the 'sub sub title' of the document, further breaking down the content.
- p tag - This is another chunk of content that will help towards your word count.
If you need a website that is easy to update and comes with all of our recommendations here + industry best practices that we have written about in other blog posts then you can contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (01476 576 839).